Menu

Winter Blues

While waiting to pick up family at the Halifax airport, I found myself on my own with a couple of hours on my hands, a snow storm and my camera. It was cold and quite dark, and the people scurrying through the Halifax Public Gardens must have wondered at me strolling along, poking in all the corners of the park and photographing trees!  Even I didn't expect to find much in the files when I got home.  But when I started working through them, I was pleasantly surprised at the quiet mood and interesting shapes.  

Topics: Inspiration | Series 

Surreality

This fall my husband and I visited Les Îles de la Madeleine, Quebec, an isolated archipelago of sandy islands in the middle of the Gulf of St. Lawrence.   The landscape is visually dramatic and a little unsettling, and I found it all quite surreal.  It was as if we had taken the 4.5 h ferry ride from PEI and crossed an unseen boundary.  Here's a little sampling of how I responded to the compelling horizon, unstoppable wind and the feeling that occupation of the island by any is quite tenuous and temporary.

 

I've just uploaded many of my images from the trip to a new Collection (find on my main webpage) and you can get more details of the trip in October's newsletter.


 

 

 

 

 

 

Topics: Exploring | Series 

Series: Oaks in Flood

In the spring, the St John / Wolastoq River in New Brunswick swells with snow melt and rain.  Near Fredericton its broad valley fills with water, infiltrating riverine forests and fields.  Combined with the soft weather, the feeling is quite surreal.

 

Holding Fast

 

 

Wet feet

 

Ungrounded

 

Knee-deep (see image here)

 

Water World

 

 

 

Topics: Series